Monday, January 15, 2007

sketches

Just a few final touches remained.

I darkened the shadow across his brow and redefined the deepest crevices of his loose, twisted clothing. I blew the excess charcoal away and carefully folded all of my previous drawings back over the spiral binding. I placed the shortened piece of charcoal into my mother’s old cigarette case and snapped it shut. I slid my sketchpad into my bag, and slung it over my shoulder.

“Thanks, Red,” I said, waking my model. Red’s heavy boot pulled his sleepy leg off of the park bench where he spent most of his mid-mornings. He yawned with a wide mouth, and I smelled whiskey on his breath as I leaned in to push a modest sitting fee into his palm. “No problem, Artie,” he chuckled, accepting the sum without worrying if the portrait was a suitable likeness.

“I’ll see you later this week, Red,” I called back to him, “Stay out of trouble!” and he chuckled at that too.

I headed back home to wash my hands and put the kettle on. I looked forward to plopping myself down on the couch and closing my eyes. I was sure that when I opened them again I would be able to see in true color. But for now every thing I saw remained in shades of gray with quick charcoal contours defining each plane and deep shadow, the way letters run across one’s mind long after putting down a book.

Drawing up the numerous stairs to my apartment, my body became heavy without its second, third, or fourth cup of tea. I was glad to reach my door, and I fumbled around for my keys, when suddenly, just moments away from relaxation, and perhaps a nap, I heard that voice!

“Aretha Watson! Is that you?!”

And, unfortunately, it was me, and I was trapped.

4 comments:

Casey H. said...

I really like that your character has this really involved job/hobby. It means that someone else has an idea as to the types of interactions their character can have with yours. Even though there wasn't a lot of description about your character, I was able to get this really warm feeling from who she is. The end is really good and you/someone else can expand on that. You left it wide open for other people to write cool things about your character but she has an established personality. Me likey!

Will Slack said...

I liked the sudden use of me at the end, and your pronoun use. I also like how she sees the world through her artistic vision. I want to know more.

Jake T. said...

i like your character a lot, they seem like someone I can relate to, and as Casey said, it is cool that they have a hobby; it makes the character seem real and more engaged in their life. and the cliffhanger sort of ending makes me want to read more!

mmallory said...

I really like your description of how you see in the gray colors of your charcoal. I really like how that shows how deep your character gets immersed into her work. Good job!